Wednesday, May 1, 2013

If Your Shoes Could Speak...


If your shoes could speak, what would they say? 

Where have they been? 

What have they seen?

I bought the pair of shoes shown in the picture a few years ago from Ross on sale for maybe $30. They have become my favorite pairs of shoes to wear; if I could sleep in them, I would. As you can see, these shoes are not the 5 inch heels some women would die for. They're not the most girly or pretty. They're just a plain Colombia, athletic, washable pairs of shoes.  But when I step in these shoes they make me feel like I can take on the world. Well I've kind of been around the world in these shoes.

I first wore them in 2010 after the earthquake in Haiti. Man, the challenging stories we heard. We saw the look of desperation on the faces of mothers who ran out of answers to solve her family's many problems. We cried by the sight of such great devastation and our incapability of doing anything to alleviate them.  So we walked on and did what we could.

We experienced India together. I will never forget being propositioned at a hotel in India. I had never felt so small because this man looked at my skin color and assumed I would end up having a good time with him that night. But with my shoes on I kept walking to fulfill my mission.

We experienced Africa together; we laughed and laughed and a part of us felt as if we'd come home. We instantly felt at home. Our hearts broke when we heard the atrocities our sisters had endured during years of war and fighting. There was anger and sadness but we kept walking promising to never forget and to return. We haven't forgotten and we will return.

We've even gone to prison together and there we learned what the bible meant when it said God was with the broken hearted. These women had been broken on many different levels, many of which started out with stories of pain and abuse. But God was with them. We knew our calling from that point on was to keep walking and elevate them.

In these shoes I lost my naïveté and stopped pretending that everything was alright around the world. I stopped pretending that if I didn't do something about the pain and suffering I saw that someone else would do something and do it far better. In these shoes, I had to come to terms with each of us having a mission to accomplish that will somehow bring forth hope and make the world a little better for someone.

In these same shoes I've knelt down to pray asking God question after question: why so much evil? How long will you be silent? I've served you with all my heart, how come my family's not spared from pain and suffering? And God why haven't you answered our cries for help?

And it has been in those same shoes that God has spoken: “My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts. And my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine. For just as the heavens are higher than the earth, so my ways are higher than your ways and my thoughts higher than your thoughts. (Isaiah 55:8, 9 NLT). "All I need you to do is to keep walking".

So tomorrow, I take another step back to Haiti as God uses me to elevate, empower and encourage.

Please pray that I will keep walking, that we will keep walking, never giving up!

If your shoes could speak, what would they say?

No comments:

Post a Comment