Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Prostitutes Hate Prostituting

Then Joshua secretly sent out two spies from the Israelite camp at Acacia Grove. He instructed them, “Scout out the land on the other side of the Jordan River, especially around Jericho.” So the two men set out and came to the house of a prostitute named Rahab and stayed there that night. (Joshua 2:1 NLT)

I once heard someone say "prostitutes must love what they do otherwise they would not engage in such activities to make money".  You don't say.  Well last night, this theory was debunked by none other than the prostitutes themselves.

Last night I led a group of 20 women in Dallas prison many of which were in prison for prostitution. For the next few weeks my task is to dissect the story of Rahab as found in Joshua 2 as inspiration for their own change. Studying about Rahab means learning a little about her history. Well the bible doesn't tell us much about Rahab's background other than the fact that she was a prostitute and some other minor details. Well who else can fill in the gaps other than modern day prostitutes.

The first question to put the puzzle pieces together was: can you describe what that occupation must have been like for Rahab? Without missing a beat one woman spoke up saying "it was hell for Rahab". Many of them chimed in saying: the disadvantages outweigh the advantages, we are like vampires coming out at night...like we're some nocturnal creatures, we are ashamed and embarrassed, it is a demeaning and degrading job, this is not some job you can do during the day and on and on they went. We could've gone on for hours. My heart broke when one said: I'm now dating a man and I'm afraid to give myself over to him sexually since I've given myself to so many others.

Yes, I constantly have to remind myself that Jesus can handle the myriads of issues these women struggle with.

Another question I asked to get a better understanding of Rahab and the girls was: why do you think Rahab was a prostitute? Many answers were given: she was desperate, she felt like she had no choice, fast money...but one woman personalized her answer, "maybe Rahab was abused because I was sexually abused every single day for 12 years and when something like that happens to you, you just don't consider yourself to be worth anything at all"...

So yeah prostitutes hate what they do, so the next time you you drive past a woman whom you suspect of prostituting, pray for her and ask God to invade her world as he invaded Rahab's. These women are looking for help, hope and someone to look at them with dignity.

I share these women's stories to give them a voice and to see how we can all join the mission to help women find life.

If you would like to know more about helping either email me or go on hopelit.org for more info.

And if you like to partner with me in the form of a gift to this ministry God has laid on my heart, there are many ways to do that:

Consider giving a financial donation: all of the work I'm doing in prison is on a volunteer basis; in addition to personal expenses to cover gas, parking and curriculum development. And I would love to do more to enhance the women's learning experience and possibly teach more than one class, the needs are immense. If so use the PayPal donate button on this blog.

Consider praying; I can't tell you how overwhelming it is to see so many needs and not being able to do anything more to help these women. Pray for healing. Pray for more hands. Pray for God's covering and protection. And pray that these women will choose a different path for the future.

Provided by: ElevateHer International Ministries, more details coming soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment