Friday, June 1, 2012

Worship In Prison

My friends and followers read this next line very carefully.  You will never be paid for some of your best work and I have a theory on that: we were created for more than money! Shocking!!! Yes!!!!!
 Every week I get in my car put $20 of gas, drive 25 miles and pay $4 for parking to work with a group of women whom for whatever reason have found themselves in jail, mostly because of sins that have been done to them. And every week I pray for God's presence to be with them and transform them. I have never prayed this hard in my entire life! I don't know if my time with the women will be marked as my best work but last night I definitely felt the presence of God leading the group.

Last night I believe I touched a nerve in the group. I was teaching on the subject of finding purpose and the need for healing using the story of Joseph. I asked a very simple question based on my own journey of healing: "do you sometimes feel like a little girl inside who just can’t grow up?" Almost every head in the entire room was nodding yes and every face was running with tears. I could not believe it, these women were stuck at an adolescent age; they look like adults but are just fragile little girls inside. Abuse victims are usually stuck at the age of their abuse or the age they started using and cannot move on because healing never took place!

Well last night, the child inside one of these ladies spoke up and asked a very honest question: do you ever forget what's been done to you?  This was her way of saying “I want to heal and live a productive life but these memories, these things that have been done to me are holding me hostage and emotionally imprisoned, how do I break free?”

I wanted to say yes but that would be a lie and they would know it because they have tried everything to numb themselves in order to forget and nothing's worked. A part of me wished I had a magic wand to wipe away the memories of their past but that would be robbing them of their journey.  Instead I said NO with a promise attached. The promise was Jesus; If they gave Jesus permission to enter in those deep areas of pain, they can start living again.  If they would allow Jesus to step into these places where no one is allowed, the past would no longer dictate their every move, they would have a new master.  The little girl inside sat at the edge of her seat fully attentive to hear how Jesus was going to enter in and heal her soul. I told her to take Jesus by the hand and start taking steps toward healing.

I wish I could fully give you a picture of the dynamic of that room but I believe we had a beautiful worship experience where Father, Son, Holy Spirit and angels were all in attendance. We even had a song, one 20 year old started singing as she cried and sobbed and most of the group joined in: I just can't give up now I've come too far from where I started from Nobody told me the road would be easy and I don't believe he brought me this far to leave me. Yup, I was created for more than making money.  Please join me in singing my sisters through their journey of healing.






4 comments:

  1. Glorious!! Thanks for sharing your journey with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glorious indeed! I can only imagine Heaven!

      Delete
  2. Love this, Dieula. Thanks for including us in what God is doing with your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sara! God is indeed up to something!

      Delete