Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Because of your Tragedy Haiti...

I can't believe it has been 2 years since I received that distressing phone call from my sister in Nj that our country had been devastated by a massive earthquake. Like everyone else we thought it was no big deal, “the poor people of the world are always going through some kind of crisis” I thought. Forgive me, my beloved Haitian brothers and sisters, for not ever taking your pain and suffering to be a serious matter. You have taught me to look at all God's children with dignity and a sense of worthiness. So I thank you!

But it has been 2 years and it seems to me you have given us more than we have given you.

Because of your tragedy, you have helped us to be grateful for what we have and we have given you groups and groups of on-lookers to pay homage and feel sorry for your misfortune.

Because of your tragedy, we have gotten in touch with some of our true human emotions; sadness, compassion and righteous anger over the injustice done to you and we have given you some of the best and brightest thinkers locked up in board rooms deciding your future.

Because of your tragedy you have given us hours upon hours of speeches, classroom lesson plans and new content for us to be even more educated and we have given you perhaps $40 a month to help a child receive an education.


Because of your tragedy, we have thousands of pictures of you, our non-profits are flourishing and you’ve made us look like Mother Teresa and we have given you perhaps a promise that we will be back.

Because of your tragedy, our eyes are even more open that this world operates on a value system that continues to demand a category where the "have nots" must remain and in return we have exposed the nakedness of your children, wives and the shame of your husbands.

Because of your tragedy, we saw a modern day example of believers persevering in the face of tragedy as you walked down the streets of PAP singing songs of praise to our God and king. And we gave you bibles and our version of Christianity thinking we have the answers to your problems, when in fact the presence of the Lord is more felt in your mud constructed prayer rooms than in our multi-million dollar sanctuaries.

Because of your tragedy, we have an opportunity to do as Isaiah 58 commands, to feed the hungry, to clothe the naked, to loosen the chains of oppression and to be repairers of broken walls.

So it seems to me that you have given us more than we have given you. It seems to me that you have helped us more than we have helped you. It seems to me that you have poured into us more than we have poured into you. Your lessons are priceless and precious.

So I thank you! I thank you for helping us realize that God, the creator, loves all of his children equally, rich and poor; literate and illiterate; blacks and whites. I thank you for helping us see that what we see here on earth isn’t all God is capable of doing and to not make too big of a deal on the temporary. I thank you for teaching us how to have faith especially when things have gone awry. I humbly salute you and am proud of you for persevering through the darkest times. Just Remember, “after you have suffered a little while, God will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast” 1 Pet. 5:10.

No comments:

Post a Comment