Tuesday, August 16, 2011

It's My Birthday and I RULE!!!!

I know the title might force you to make a couple of assumptions. Maybe you're thinking “uh oh this is one of those blogs where this woman is using positive self talk to make herself feel good about her messed up life”. Or perhaps you may also be thinking “she drank too many cups of the pride cool-aid”. Well it’s neither one of those assumptions. But it is my birthday and I want to reflect on my being.
I want to draw your attention on a bible verse that I've found fascinating, Genesis 1:26 "Then God said “Let us make mankind in our image in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals and over all the creatures that move along the ground". My fascination over this verse is partly because I don't fully understand it but I also find it captivating over its potential meaning for my life.

My misunderstanding comes from the fact that God is spirit and I'm a physical being and I can't fathom what of God is in me that makes me his image bearer or like him. Simple.

Now let's move on to the intriguing excitement over this phrase: of all of the things that God has created, humans were the only ones he said was created in His image, His likeness. He looked at the tree, nope not so much...he looked at water, unh unh...He looked at the dinosaurs, absolutely not!

But when he came to me, yes me and you too, he stopped and said I will make them like Me. So let's dream a little; what exactly about me is like God? Do I laugh like God? Do I cry like God? Do I create like God? Do I speak like God? Do I love like him? Do I walk and run like him? Do I think like him? Am I free to roam the earth like he?

I really don’t know but the verse above alludes to how we are like God. I, like God, was made to RULE!!!!! What an honor to possess the ability to rule like God, like my Father. I don’t know about you but on this birthday of mine, it makes a girl pretty darn proud to know that I was commissioned by God before the world began to RULE! This isn’t a theory I came up with to make myself feel good but this is something that God has given me permission to do; to stand beside him and RULE. Chew on this for a minute!

I know you may have a many questions about this Rule-ship thing and I do too; the imperfection of man, the irresponsible rulers etc. But those questions don’t negate our standing position to RULE like God.

So on this birthday, I reflect on my being and the honor it is to RULE! I don’t think we were only called to rule over plants and animals but alongside God over our lives, over our circumstances, over our attitudes, over how well we love, over our response to life’s tragedies and even over our destinies. It’s my birthday and I’m proud to shout “I RULE”!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment